In 2015, I started my calf shelter design which includes a walk-thru door, swinging gate, lifting bar, air vents, and sky lights. When I was designing this shelter, there didn’t appear to be another shelter on the market that had these elements. In early 2017, I started advertising my new design and sold my first production shelter in February 2017. I spent time researching design options, even contacting several veterinarians and a local collegiate animal science department to discuss the difference in front entry vs. end entry for calves. Based on my research my current design, which is patented, includes:
- A front entry design that allows airflow to distribute more evenly inside the shelter, which keeps a more even temperature throughout.
- A walk-thru door provides easy access to check or treat calves, and spread straw.
- The swinging gate will close for catching calves, or keeping them out come spring.
- The lifting bar makes it easy to pick up and relocate with a bucket from either side.
- The shelter is ventilated to allow air flow which helps keep it dry, helping to prevent bacteria from growing.
- Skylights help light up the shelter to keep it warm and dry.
These shelters are being delivered to South Dakota’s neighboring states. To legally transport them, I’ve designed them 8’6″ wide and in 12’, 24’, or 32’ lengths, all which will fit on a gooseneck or semi-trailer. Shelters are 8’2″ tall to the top of the lifting bar and have a 31.5″ tall opening for calves to get in. I have also designed custom sized shelters based on the customer’s needs, including some for goat and pig operations, and another as a chicken coop.
- 12′ Shelter – 4′ flip up gate and weighs about 1100 lbs.
- 24′ Shelter – 8′ flip up gate and weighs about 1900 lbs.
- 32′ Shelter – 8′ flip up gate and weighs about 2300 lbs.
What types of products does Iron Ranch Manufacturing offer?Discover our range of innovative agricultural equipment designed to enhance efficiency and convenience for farmers. From livestock handling solutions to weather-resistant equipment, we've got you covered.
How can I provide feedback or request custom product designs?We value your input! Feel free to contact us with your suggestions or specific requirements. Our team is eager to collaborate with you on tailored solutions that meet your farming needs.
What sets Iron Ranch Manufacturing products apart in terms of durability and quality?Learn more about the rigorous engineering and manufacturing standards we uphold to ensure our products withstand the test of time and Mother Nature's challenges. Explore what makes our offerings a reliable investment for your farm.